- You need 2 identical printed photos if you are applying for a passport using a paper form.
- You need either printed or digital photos if you’re applying online. You’ll be told as you start your application what type of photo you need.
- You must get a new photo when you get a new passport, even if your appearance has not changed.
- Your photo must have been taken in the last month.
- Your application will be delayed if your photos do not meet the rules.
- You can get help with your passport photos if you’re disabled.
The size of your printed photos
You need to provide 2 identical photos
- measure 45 millimeters (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)
- not be a cut-down version of a larger picture
If you use a photo booth outside the UK, check it can give you photos that measure 45mm high by 35mm wide..
What your printed photos must show
Your photos must:
- be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders
- contain no other objects or people
- be taken against a plain cream or light grey background
- be in clear contrast to the background
- not have ‘red eye’
In your photo, you must:
- be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
- have a plain expression and your mouth closed
- have your eyes open and visible
- not have hair in front of your eyes
- not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
- not have anything covering your face
- not have any shadows on your face or behind you
Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. If you wear glasses that you cannot take off, your eyes must be visible without any glare or reflections.
Photos of babies and children
Children must be on their own in the picture. Babies must not be holding toys or using dummies.
Children under 6 do not have to be looking directly at the camera or have a plain expression.
Children under one do not have to have their eyes open. You can support their head with your hand, but your hand must not be visible in the photo.
More useful .gov links
Useful links EU
Useful links for POLAND
Useful links for the USA
Useful Links for CANADA
Useful Links for INDIA